Sunday, November 6, 2011

Character

  Disciplines, practiced over a period of time, become habits or lifestyles- habits and lifestyles, repeated over a period of time, become character- and character over time shapes a life! So, it follows that if you want to change a life- start by establishing an appropriate discipline which will lead to a habit/ lifestyle which will develop new character which will change how life is lived.

Saw this on another blog today. I thought it was great. We have been talking to Tapp about establishing good study and organization habits recently. She has started to adapt a few things. Everyone is pitching in to help her.

I decided I need to establish a solid exercise habit. The blog I stole the quote from just began a 40 day quest to run at least 30 min per day. I am going to adopt a swim/run habit everyday until the end of the year. At least one day of swimming will be lost due to the club being closed for Christmas holiday. Thanksgiving may be the same.

Part two of the habit is to do all I can to remind my dad that he is measured by the depth of his life not the length of it. Just two months after being told he was essentially NED (no evidence of disease) his melanoma has spread to his lower spine. It was a tumor that could not be completely excised by surgery. He also has a new occurence of mets in his lungs. Small ones that are not the same as previously treated. He is will begin radiation after Thanksgiving. Back to the fight.

Part three is helping my mom out with her current health issues. She needs some tests run and some back surgery. My parents are independent stubborn people. Challenges to there mobility does not make them happy, especially my mom. She always saw after me when I was sick. She is one of the heroes of my children. I owe it to her to make sure she gets to celebrate her life. Again depth not length of life. If you want to the depth of her life, just hang with one of my daughters for a day. You will see my mom in both of them.

Langley out!

No comments: